Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Green Thumb? We'll Find Out!

I'm attempting to start a garden. I've never really grown anything before and the two plants I've had, I've managed to kill. One of them was a cactus. So, ya. This should be interesting. Mom had tried a garden several years ago but, for whatever reason, didn't keep it up so now I'm going to find out how long it takes me to kill these poor little plants.
As you can see, we had a LOVELY weed garden going on! So far I've only cleaned out the bed closest to the camera and will do the other one if I need the space. Since we live in Texas and the "soil" (if you can even call it that) isn't really diggable, unless God himself were to come pick up a shovel and do it, we have to do raised beds. When Mom made her first attempt at a garden dad put these together so I just cleaned them out and put new soil in that I can dig in all by myself. I think next year I'm going to have a bigger garden and will probably end up changing thedesign up, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

We are starting out small, with just a few vegetables and a few herbs. I got tomatoes, green and red bell peppers, squash, onions, carrots and spinach to plant for now and will definitely add things in the fall and next spring! I plan on adding green beans, peas, snap peas, broccoli, potatoes, asparagus (maybe), and okra. Oh, I'm also TRYING to grow some strawberries but I just planted those seeds, so we'll see if they make it.

I also decided to do an herb garden! I got these from Calloways, but Home Depot has some really good looking herbs too! So far I have basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, spearmint, and peppermint!

Like I said, I'm starting small this spring but in the fall I want to add broccoli, peas, and snap peas and next spring I'm thinking about doing green beans, potatoes and okra along with what I'm already doing. Hopefully nothing is dead by then.

Here is my first bed. It has my tomatoes, red, green, and orange bell peppers and my squash. The second bed will have my carrots, onions and spinach in it!
I started out by placing everything where I wanted it and then started planting!

Now we just wait and see. Hopefully nothing dies!

Well, that's my Southern Soapbox! I'll post pictures of the second bed another time! What do y'all plant in your gardens, or what would you want to plant?

No comments:

Post a Comment