Tuesday, May 7, 2013

And Then There Were Two...

So, when I got Prim less than a year ago I had NO intentions of getting another hedgehog. None. I swear. Hedgehogs are solitary animals and don't need or want the company of another hedgehog. They really don't even need you other than to feed/water/clean their cage but they "tolerate" (some better than others) you holding and petting them. Not to mention I didn't want to have to worry about giving two hedgehogs attention every day to prevent them from going back to wild. With that said, I did not look on Facebook or craigslist for hedgies. If I looked I would find one that NEEDED me and I would be over run with hedgies. BUT a friend of mine messaged me on Facebook and said she knew of a person selling her hedgie online. Usually when someone is selling their quillbaby online it means they are clueless. So I asked if it was a boy or girl and she found out that it was a girl. After asking the owner several questions I quickly realized that these people were clueless. They had Ivy in a cage that had wire on it, which they said she would climb and fall off of. Did they consider this a problem? No, they considered her stupid, and actually said to me "Ya, she's dumb. She climbs up there then jumps off." She wasn't jumping. She was falling. Who's stupid now? Anywho, they had her on shavings, which can be very bad for their quills and respiratory system and when I asked what they were feeding her the lady said "Um some kind of cat food. I'm not sure what the name is." How do you not know what you're feeding your animal?!?! THEY DIDN'T EVEN KNOW SHE WAS NOCTURNAL! I totally understand this not being common knowledge. I didn't know this stuff before I had a hedgehog but I researched it before I got one! It's not hard to do.
Well, needless to say, I rescued Ivy the day before we left for an eight hour drive to Mississippi. I had already planned to take Prim, and was already getting Prim's things ready but now I had to run, pick Ivy up, get extra bowls/cage/travel carrier etc for Ivy AND come back to do more laundry and pack. It was a long night.

Ivy is VERY friendly and pretty active! She rarely balls up or puffs and it took me forever to get a decent picture of her because she kept moving around!

I'm pretty sure that between the two of them they had more luggage than I did. I brought two large pop up kennels that are made for 70+ pound dogs, 5 fleece liners, a sprite bottle full of water from home, two kinds of cat food (one of them is Prim's and the other's is Ivy's) 4 water/food dishes, 2 wheels, 2 travel carriers, an endless supply of blue surgical towels, paper towels, a ton of hedgie bags, clorox wipes, 2 thermometers, and two car carriers. That's a lot of stuff for such little critters. Prim and Ivy both did very well. Ivy rode in Mom's lap on the way there and on the way back and Prim rode in my lap and my Mammaw's lap on the way to Mississippi and in my lap on the way home. Ivy did get car sick at first, when she was in her carrier but did much better after we took her out and Prim, of course, slept the entire time.

Ivy saying "Cheese" in Mississippi.

Prim in my lap in the Wendy's drive thru. The ladies FREAKED out when they
saw her and practically threw our food at us lol.
Well that's my prickly Southern Soapbox! I have another exiting post to explain why it is that we went to Mississippi for 4 days! It was very exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment