Monday, July 9, 2012

Maizy Music

Last week I did my first Maizy Music post! I hope y'all enjoy this weeks as much as you seemed to enjoy last weeks post!

If you don't know the following song then you are not human, or you're REALLY REALLY young and shouldn't be online without adult supervision (but even that's not an excuse). What song is that you ask? None other than Don McLean's American Pie. Like I said, if you don't know it then there's something seriously wrong. Don McLean released this iconic hit in 1971, in part, to mourn the death of Buddy Holly. The first verse and line "The day the music died" refers to the 1959 plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper (Jiles Perry Richardson JR). Apart from that verse McLean never told what his original meaning to the song was. He insisted that "Music is beyond analysis, much like poetry" and that people should interpret it for themselves. A popular theory for the remainder of the song is that it has to do with the events of the 60's (the Kennedy and MLK assassination for example). Another theory is that Don McLean wrote it regarding the events of the Altamont Free Concert but since McLean never said this to be true there is no way to know for sure. There are also TONS of references to American-Folk songs ("The Book Of Love" by the Monotones, Don Cornell's "The Bible Tells Me So", "Helter Skelter" by the Beatles and many many more) and other popular 60's activities, like a sock hop (the line "You both kicked off you shoes").

American Pie by Don McLean

Let's mix it up shall we? I have been on a country music kick lately. I grew up listening to country music and still love it. I particularly love the song American Honey by Lady Antebellum. It was released in January of 2010 and was written by the members of the Lady Antebellum band, Hilary Lindsay, Cary Barlowe, and Shane Stevens. There isn't too much mystery as to the songs meaning. It is about the desire to escape the pressures and responsibility of adult hood and go back in time to a much simpler time of childhood. I was surprised to find out that this song was not well received by critics. Personally, I love the song. It makes me immediately nostalgic for home, and by home I do not mean Texas. Despite the fact that I was born in Alabama and have lived in Texas since I was three years old, I do not consider either of those places to be 'home'. Home is south Mississippi. I spent every summer of my childhood their and loved every moment of it. This song takes me back to riding horses with my two cousins, swimming in the river and playing Indians and I often find myself wishing I could go back to that time. "Nothing's sweeter than summertime".

American Honey by Lady Antebellum

Well, that's my musical Southern Soapbox! I hope you enjoyed the songs and learning a little something about me! Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment