Sunday, May 20, 2012

Spring Cleaning

Happy Sunday y'all! For most of you it's spring but here in Texas we're on the verge of summer but I figured I would go ahead and start me "spring" cleaning despite the heat.

I stumbled across this blog on pinterest and was in total awe! I wanted everything she had mentioned and decided that I would start my own smaller version. I probably won't get all crazy and go nuts with organizing but I am going to declutter and make sure everything has a home and stays there.

I've started with making a schedule. I had posted before my cleaning schedule but I may tweek it a bit. The Wednesday "surface day" is terrible which means I never do it. So I've decided to divide every day into a room along with a few other little things. Here is what my schedule looks like now.

Monday:
Unload dishwasher in the morning
Vacuum all rooms (hall, bedrooms, living rooms, etc)
Clean living room
Clean Laundry room
Wipe down counters & stove at night
Load dishwasher at night

Tuesday:
Unload dishwasher in the morning
Laundry day
Clean entry way
Clean "Library"
Clean Dining room
Wipe down counters & stove at night
Load dishwasher

Wednesday:
Unload dishwasher in the morning
Clean kitchen and bfast nook
Clean bathrooms
Take our trash from all rooms
Vacuum all rooms
Load dishwasher at night

Thursday:
Unload dishwasher in the morning
Laundry day
Clean bedrooms (even the guest room)
Wipe down counters & stove at night
Load dishwasher at night

Friday:
Unload dishwasher in the morning
Vacuum all rooms
Monthly chore
Errands day
Wipe down counters & stove at night
Load dishwasher at night

Make your schedule work for you! You may not have to run the dishwasher every single day. I have two dogs and a cat so I have to vacuum three times a week, you may not need to. The point of a cleaning schedule is for it to work for you and your family. Also, don't be afraid to change it.

My next "quest" was to decide how I wanted to keep up with my schedule. A lot of people like to make big calendars to hang out in the open so they see it every day. Personally, I'll walk right past it and never give it a second glance after I've hung it. Instead, I used a calendar app on my phone. I look at my phone all the time so I see my little list on my phone every time I look at my phone but just in case I miss it I have a back up plan!
First of all, notice that this is not my normal schedule. We may have family coming in town Tuesday (yay!) so I am trying to get everything clean before they get here. Anywho...

Every night before I go to bed I will write my cleaning to do list out on my bathroom mirror (I use a regular dry erase marker and to wipe it off I just use a piece of toilet paper). Every time I go to the bathroom during the day I see my To Do list and hopefully I will be able to check things off as I go through out the day. By the end of the night everything on my list should be checked off. If it's not, I just add it to the next days list. I like to be able to see things being checked off a list so this will hopefully be helpful.

Well that's my Southern Soapbox! Tomorrow I will be organizing my laundry room. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment